You won’t be left to cope on your own after reporting a crime. There are people who are trained to help and processes to make sure you get the support you need.

How your needs will be met

The police will want to quickly understand if you need special help because you:

  • are a victim of a serious crime
  • are intimidated or vulnerable, eg under 18
  • have been repeatedly targeted

They might then ask your local victim service to talk to you to see how they can help. If your case goes to court the Witness Care Unit (WCU) might ask you some questions to see if you need help giving evidence.

If anything big changes, like your health being affected, you should tell the people helping you, the investigating officer or the WCU.

Who will keep you informed

  1. The investigating officer on your case is your main contact. They'll give you information on what to expect and tell you how the investigation is going

  2. If you’re the close relative of someone killed as a result of a crime, you’ll be given a specially trained Family Liaison Officer (FLO). This is a police officer who will get information from you to help with the investigation, and support you through the process

  3. If your case goes to court, the police will tell you how it will be handled 

  4. If the offender is found guilty of a sexual or violent crime and sentenced for 12 months or more, you can keep up to date with what's happening to them through the Victim Contact Scheme

Making a complaint

You should be treated with respect and understanding throughout the process. But if you are unhappy with anyone’s behaviour at any point, you can make a complaint.