Telling the police

If a crime is taking place, someone is in danger or the suspect is nearby, call 999. 

If it’s not an emergency, you can call the police on 101 or go to your local police station. You might also be able to report it online. Find your local police force website.

If you want to report identity theft you should contact ActionFraud.

If you’re afraid or nervous 

The police should listen to and treat all victims of crime with respect. 

If you're worried someone will find out that you've spoken to the police, they can make arrangements to be in touch in a discreet way.

If you want to report a crime anonymously, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or tell them by filling in the form online

Is it a crime?

Some forms of anti-social behaviour aren't considered crimes. Even if the police can't investigate the problem, there are other ways you can get help. Find out more about anti-social behaviour.

Getting a crime reference number

When you report a crime you'll be given a crime reference number and contact details for the investigating police officer.

You can ask this officer for updates while the investigation is happening by calling 101. You’ll need your crime reference number whenever you get in touch.

Giving a statement

You might be asked by the police to give a witness statement. This is your written or video recorded account of what happened. It could be used as evidence in court.

The police will also give you the chance to make a Victim Personal Statement at this time. You can use this to explain how the crime has affected you. If your case goes to trial this statement will be shared with the court. 

Support after a crime

All victims of crime are entitled to support. You don't have to report a crime to the police to get that support. Find your local support team by entering your postcode in the box at the bottom of this page.

If you do report a crime, in 2 working days the police will give your details to your local victim service. Someone from this service should get in touch to see what help you might need.

  • If you don’t want this to happen, tell the investigating officer. You can still contact support services at any time, if you change your mind
  • If you’re the victim of a sexual offence or domestic abuse, or the relative of someone killed as a result of a crime, the police must check with you first before passing on your details