Getting help fast

A physical attack and a threat to hurt you are both considered crimes.

  • If an attack is taking place or has just happened, call 999
  • If it's not an emergency, you can report a crime on 101, online or at a police station
  • If you need medical help quickly but it's not an emergency, call 111

Getting help to recover

Being attacked can be very frightening. You may find it hard to get back on your feet, emotionally, physically and practically.

There are a lot of organisations that can help. Enter your postcode in the box at the bottom of this page to find support where you live.

After reporting an attack

If you've been seriously hurt or are a victim of attempted murder, you'll be entitled to extra support from organisations like the police, courts and victim services. That could include:

  • getting a specialist support service to contact you
  • referring you to someone who can help you recover, through counselling or therapy
  • being given information about Special Measures that could help you give evidence in court

You can see everything you're entitled to in the Victims' Code. This is a government document that sets out the information and support you should get from public services.